....

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

....

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, May 31, 2009

.plan b.

well, i know it has been awhile since i posted, but i think we have finally made a decision to go with a "plan b." maybe i'm "untraditional" but i did not like the way my dr was going about our treatment, so i asked around and got some great advice. so i called a new dr..his name is dr. richards and he works with a guy named dr. marrs. together, these two have the BEST success rates for ivf in the nation. they solve some of the toughest infertility problems around the country. i thought, well, i'll call and see if they do less aggressive tx other than ivf. i left a message for dr. richards (who is actually a PhD reproductive scientist, not an md) and he returned my call in less than 4 hours. now, his office is in american fork, so going to an appt down there before i knew what our plans were was out of the question. oh, no big deal. dr richards spent an hour and half with me on the phone answering ALL my hard questions..and at the end, even gave me his cell phone number in case i thought of more questions after he hung up. basically, he told me that the success rates of couples trying for over one year have a less than 5% chance each month of conceiving on their own.. not impossible, but definately, not fabulous odds. secondly, he said i could possibly have a problem with horomone receptors at the end of my tubes (fimbria) that may not even pick up my egg, even though i ovulate one (or 4, ha ha) each cycle. meaning, we'd never conceive without ivf. obviously this cannot be diagnosed with any test, so you just trouble-shoot til you've had it and resort to ivf anyway.
so you're wondering what the plan is. since we did not plan to pay $15,000 to conceive a baby, we are not going to jump on the ivf wagon just yet, but we are planning on doing that at the first of 2010. until then, i'm going off all my medication (except parlodel) and if it happens before then, great. if not, we have a great dr who i know can help us. he said our chances are fabulous considering our ages and our health.
just to give you a look into their success rates. for the 11 april ivf cycles they performed, 8 of those got pregnant. the three that did not, were over age 35. so that's way over 50%. i'm feeling relieved that there is hope. i'm not devastated in waiting til january like i thought i'd be. i just keep thinking how much better that + pregnancy test will be after waiting so long.
thanks everyone, for being concerned. i'm finally realizing that this is part of who i am, and not what i am, a broken human.

7 comments:

  1. Where did you find those statistics for April? Were they with the AF doctor? I would love to look at them since I'll be part of the U's June statistics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash I think about you a lot. I met Keri and Mel at the park a couple weeks ago and it was so good to catch up. Let's plan something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck until then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome doc! It's so nice when they remember that they're treating and dealing with people and lives and not just patients. I hope that something happens sooner rather than later but I'm glad you have some good options. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you found someone you like and some answers to your questions. He sounds great. Good luck with everything... and shall I say... have lot's of sex ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm glad that you got a second opinion/advice. You are not a broken human..(but I know how you feel). I wonder if that doctor does PGD? He sounds great. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you found a Doctor you feel comfortable with. That can make all the difference to you when you are going through something like this!

    ReplyDelete