....

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

....

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, December 13, 2009

.i think explains it.

From an article by Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD:
"The third group is perhaps the most difficult. These are women who grow a sufficient quantity of follicles in response to superovulation ; and have high estradiol levels as well. Egg collection is usually uneventful ; and the doctor often retrieves 8 to 16 eggs for them. If IVF is done, when the fertilization check is performed the following day, much to the embryologist’s surprise and the patient’s dismay , it is found that the fertilization is very poor even though the sperm are fine and actively motile. If ICSI is being done, the embryologist often finds that the eggs are morphologically normal ; or are very fragile. For example, these eggs have granular cytoplasm ; or vacuoles in their cytoplasm ; or dark areas within the cytoplasm. Since normal eggs are simple spherical formless blobs, these subtle cytoplasmic abnormalities are often missed or overlooked. The embryologist may also noticed that the eggs are fragile, and the cell membrane offers little resistance to the injection pipette. Many of these eggs may die during the ICSI process.
Unfortunately , because egg morphology has not been adequately studied , we still do not have good descriptive terms , when talking about these abnormalities. Since the eye only sees what the mind knows, often these abnormalities are not picked up. The patient is often subjected to repeated IVF or ICSI cycles , with the same poor results each time."


we're just a "hard egg case."

3 comments:

  1. So sorry! Still thinking of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- my name is Beth......I just happened to come across your blog and I am so thankful I did. I've been going to see Dr. Richards and it was funny because he called me an "eternal hopeful." I saw him back in August or September and wanted to make sure I really wasn't going to get pregnant before I pursued IVF or ICSI. So I kept waiting to get pregnant Sept., Oct., Nov., and now Dec. but still no positive sign on the pregnancy tests. So I went back to him a week ago and that was when he called me an "eternal hopeful." (I think he's amazing by the way). Now I've finally come to the realization that we aren't getting pregnant on our own again and I am taking the first steps to IVF- possibly ICSI.
    We have a son and it took us 8 months to get pregnant with him and now we've been trying for 2 years to give him a sibling and it's not happening. When my husband left for Iraq the second time, we were living in CA, and my stake president told me that we go through trials for many different reasons, and one of those reasons is so we can help others. It sucks in every way possible and I wish you were pregnant and I wish I was pregnant, but if it means anything to you at all, I just wanted to thank you so much for sharing your story on your blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley and Cam,
    I'm so sorry to hear it didn't work the second time. I don't know what you are going through, but I do know it has to be very hard on you. I hope some inspiration will come to you as to what the next step will be for you both, and that you can find happiness and peace in the process.

    Hope to see you during the Holidays!
    Love,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete